Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Yotophoto: Open Source Photo Search Site

I sometimes feel bad that I use Google image search to get images for my blog. Although I attribute the source on all occasions, I have at least once been asked to get permission before using an image. Many other times I've been thanked for the link and the exposure.

My problems are now solved. While browsing one of the social bookmarking sites (can't remember now, but I think it was Furl), I found yotophoto, an open source photo search site.
About Yotophoto

Yotophoto is a search engine for free-to-use stock photographs and images. These are images that are either in the Public Domain or released under generous Creative Commons, GNU FDL or similar licenses.

Mission

Our goal is to help people locate, remix and republish open and copyleft images. We aren't just about 'free stock photos' for designers, but also about helping educators, bloggers and digital artists find photos they can use without fear of "the man".

Site history

Originally an experiment to facilitate easier image searching of the Wikipedia, Yotophoto eventually expanded to index other well known free image sites. Today, we index over a quarter million free images.

They provide on info on how to credit the artist. This is all quite cool.


No comments: