Thursday, May 25, 2006

Lama Surya Das: Daily Necessities


[Expansive]

Here is a little list of things we might want to try to include in our lives each day, originally posted at Allspirit.

*Tips and Pointers for Building a Spiritual Life from Scratch*

Pray
Meditate
Be aware/ Stay awake
Bow
Practice yoga
Feel
Chant and sing
Breathe and smile
Relax / Enjoy /Laugh / Play
Create / Envision
Let go / Forgive / Accept
Walk / Exercise / Move
Work / Serve / Contribute
Listen / Learn / Inquire
Consider / Reflect
Cultivate oneself / Enhance competencies
Cultivate contentment
Cultivate flexibility
Cultivate friendship and collaboration
Open up / Expand / Include
Lighten up
Dream
Celebrate and appreciate
Give thanks
Evolve
Love
Share / Give / Receive
Walk softly / Live gently
Expand / Radiate / Dissolve
Simplify
Surrender / Trust
Be born anew


from: Awakening the Buddha Within

Nice list. We call could do well to try to get more of these things into our lives. I have been focused on gratitude for a couple of months now and it has had a pwerful effect on me.

Now I want to work on Open up / Expand / Include. This seems like an area where I could do some serious growth in my life. So my new mission will be to seek out ways to be more open, more expansive and more inclusive.

As someone who is often closed, contracted, and exclusive, this should be some interesting work. If anyone has any suggestions for a natural introvert, please leave me a comment.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a natural introvert too. Is Kira an extrovert? If so, she probably has somewhat daunting (from your point of view) network of social connections. In my relationships, I have found it enriching and not-too-challenging-for-an-introvert to open myself more to my extroverted partner's friends (the partner appreciates it too). Step out of the box: a barbecue, a group night at the roller/bowling rink, organize a hike and picnic. Obviously this is harder if Kira is an introvert too, with only one best friend who lives half-way across the country!

Kai in NYC

william harryman said...

Unfortunately, Kira is an introvert, too, though she is better about social stuff than I am. I actually think I have a social anxiety disorder of some kind. I'm fine one on one, or in small groups, but at a party I'd rather be at the dentist.

Kira's best friend is actually here. And she has tried to get me to do things with thier family in the past. Next time, I'll accept.

Peace,
Bill

Anonymous said...

No! Don't call it a disorder!--'cause that'll mean I have a disorder too. My personal vision of Hell is an eternal cocktail party, where you must look like you're having a good time, while making constant small talk to perfect strangers ("And what do YOU do? Oh, how INTERESTING") and never, ever broaching a meaningful topic.

Here's a counter proposal, just for us introverts. Maybe expansiveness and inclusivity looks different for us? Instead of forcing ourselves into social situations in which we can never be comfortable or at our best, our real work is to bring more authenticity, kindness (expansiveness) to all our day to day, one-on-one dealings. I have a way of putting on a "public face," which makes all the appropriate comments and actions while I'm actually 100% tuned out. I strongly suspect most introverts do this. I think I, too, could actually benefit from making occasional appearances in my own life. Lots of food for thought here...

Kai in NYC

william harryman said...

Well, if the fundies are right and people like us are going to hell, at least we'll be at the same party. :)

I think you have a point about this looking different for introverts. I do the same thing most days: I put on my "trainer" face when I go to the gym and I'm not really present in the way I'd like to be, as in bringing my whole authentic self.

Maybe my practice will be to "show up in person" when I am in public. There are a few clients I'm present with, but most get my trainer face.

Peace,
Bill