Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Asking for Help

[image source]

Some more Rigpa Glimpse of the Day:

All we need to do to receive direct help is to ask. Didn’t Christ also say: “Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you. Everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth”? And yet asking is what we find hardest. Many of us, I feel, hardly know how to ask. Sometimes it is because we are arrogant, sometimes because we are unwilling to seek help, sometimes because we are lazy, and sometimes because our minds are so busy with questions, distractions, and confusion that the simplicity of asking does not occur to us.

The turning point in any healing of alcoholics or drug addicts is when they admit their illness and ask for aid. In one way or another, we are all addicts of samsara; the moment when help can come for us is when we admit our addiction and simply ask.

~ Sogyal Rinpoche

This is one of my big issues. I have a hard time asking for help when I need it. I was raised to think that men should be self-sufficient if they are "real men." What a load of crap.

Taking refuge is asking for help.

But it's still very easy for me to walk around as though I need nothing from anyone. The one thing that has changed that is my relationship with Kira. Having a loving, healthy relationship underscores how much I can sometimes need her in my life. That used to scare me, but now it feels like a good thing.

I'm learning this lesson, but it's a slow process.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.