Tuesday, May 09, 2006

New Poem

This is the first new poem I've dared to share with the world in many years (aside from a few harmless haiku). This is scary.


[image source]


untitled

red desert sand sifts
through my fingers, so many
universes falling into the breeze
as a raven circles in spirals
on wind currents in the canyon,
its black shape a reminder
of time's passage, minutes
falling away just as the sand
I hold returns to source,
so, too, do I return,
soaring on the currents
between passing seconds,
falling quietly into the gap
that is more real, more
alive, more frightening
than the rattlesnake coiled
only inches from my feet,
the twitch of realization
and then silence, infinite, leaden
silence: no desert, no sand,
no raven, no snake, no self


Del.Icio.Us Tags: , , , , ,
Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about (as a title) "I Will Show You" or "A Handful of Sand" or even, "Fear" to invoke the famous quote? I'm sure the real experience will be electrically frightening, but I keep hoping for such a moment myself.

Kai in NYC

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem. It evokes beautiful images for me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Bill the past two weeks have been really difficult, your poem is one of the bright spots, you have the gift of making one feel as if they're actually experiencing the images and emotions you describe, keep writing and I for one will continue to enjoy. Thanks,I've missed our sessions.

william harryman said...

Thanks for the kind responses. I'll probably rework this at some point and post the result.

Peace,
Bill