Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Can We Laugh at Ourselves?

Earlier today I posted an article from The Onion, a great source of postmodern satire. The article in question pretended to support using stereotypes to categorize people, thereby saving time in our daily lives. I liked it -- it seemed to poke at something many of us do without ever being aware of it.

A regular reader found the article offensive and not in keeping with the intent of this blog. S/he will no longer be reading these pages. That saddens me. S/he felt the post was "off message," as the political types might say.

This was my reply in the comments:
The post has everything to do with my message. We all know stereotypes are wrong, but we use them everyday. If you think that you don't, that you are above such things, then I suggest you spend one week, just seven days, painfully observing EVERY time you make a judgement about someone you have never met, classifying people based on how they look or how they dress, and so on.

The article was over the top -- that should have been a sign that it was satire. Maybe it hits too close to home, and feeling uncomfortable prevents us from being able to laugh at ourselves?

It was apparently okay to poke fun at George Bush, but poking fun at liberal sensibilities is off limits. This seems like an unfair double-standard.

When satire works, it makes us uncomfortable. When it targets things we do personally -- but block from our awareness -- it can be very unsettling. Being unsettled is a great way to enter new areas of awareness.

I have tended to avoid doing or saying anything that might unsettle or offend people, not just in this blog but in my entire life. I would never intentionally be mean or hurtful, but I am not above creating discomfort in myself and in my readers. If you are going to be offended by being made uncomfortable, I sincerely hope you will stay with the feelings and see where they lead.

I'm not about to go all Wyatt Earpy on you guys, but I might get a little Jay Andrew Allen on your arse. I hope that's okay.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

william harryman said...

Sorry, Blogger doesn't allow me to edit comments, only to delete them.

That was a funny video. Thanks for the link.

Peace,
Bill

william harryman said...

My apologies to anyone, and apparently everyone, who was offended.

Peace,
Bill

Unknown said...

Wait a minute. I wasn't offended.

Colmar, your feathers are getting a little overly ruffled again.

I think you better pony up on the cash for Bill's new Mercedes.

Bill, you have run up against a Politic Correctness cell, lured out into the open by the sometimes-spicy or musty smell of freedom.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just want you to know that I was not offended. Maybe that makes me an awful person, but I don't really think I am any more than anyone else. I chuckled as I read the post "Stereotypes are a real time saver." I am mostly a lurker and know very little about "integral" or anything else. Still, I want to let you know that I enjoy youy blog. Thanks!

PS-I laugh at myself regularly! :D