Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TED Talks - Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions

I'm sure he's preaching to the converted, but this is interesting anyway.

About this talk

Questions of good and evil, right and wrong are commonly thought unanswerable by science. But Sam Harris argues that science can -- and should -- be an authority on moral issues, shaping human values and setting out what constitutes a good life.

About Sam Harris

Adored by secularists, feared by the pious, Sam Harris' best-selling books argue that religion is ruinous and, worse, stupid -- and that questioning religious faith might just save civilization. Full bio and more links





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting and intriguing arguments. Nevertheless I wonder why all those intelligent people pointing their fingers to the "backward" east seem to forget that "we" had all the time we needed to move out of this saintly existence while "they" have not (I know I am exaggerating here).

I am not sure what to do either but simply imposing our moral standards on others seems not like a so good idea to me. I guess doing it Carl Rogers style would be the best thing to do: Be authentic but still (really) try to understand your counterpart's motivations.

Best regards,
Andreas