Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Koan

A little Zen wisdom to start the day:
Once there was a devoted old woman who built a place of retreat for a monk, arranging that he would not lack for anything, so that he could concentrate upon his meditation and practice. One day, after twenty years, she instructed her daughter: "Today, after serving the Master his meal, take advantage of the situation to embrace him tightly, asking him at the same time, 'how does it feel to be hugged these days?' Come back and let me know his answer as faithfully as you can."

The daughter dutifully did as she was told, putting her arms around the Master and asking the question. The Master replied, "I am not moved in the very least by sexual desire, no different from a dried up tree leaning against a cold mass of rocks in the middle of winter, when not even a drop of warmth can be found." The young girl repeated the answer to her mother, who said unhappily, "I have really wasted my time and effort during the last twenty years. Little did I know that I was only supporting a common mortal!" Having said this, she went out, evicted the monk, lit a fire and burned the meditation hut to the ground.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 comments:

Steve said...

Bill, I hate to admit it when I don't understand something, which is why I'm going to admit to you now that I don't understand the point of that story.

Namaste,
Steve

william harryman said...

Hi Steve,

If you drop me a private email, I'll give you the "answer" that was provided where I found it.

But I think it's cool to find our own answers, mull them over for a while, then stumble upon new answers. That's my understanding of how Koans work. There really is no right answer.

Peace,
Bill