May 19th, 2013 | in Online Courses, Philosophy
The Philosophy section of our big Free Online Courses collection just went through another update, and it now features 90 courses. Enough to give you a soup-to-nuts introduction to a timeless discipline. You can start with one of several introductory courses.
Then, once you’ve found your footing, you can head off in some amazing directions. As we mentioned many moons ago, you can access courses and lectures by modern day legends – Michel Foucault, Bertrand Russell, John Searle, Walter Kaufmann, Leo Strauss, Hubert Dreyfus and Michael Sandel. Then you can sit back and let them introduce you to the thinking of Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Hobbes, Hegel, Heidegger, Kierkegaard, Kant, Nietzsche, Sartre and the rest of the gang. The courses listed here are generally available via YouTube, iTunes, or the web.
- Philosophy for Beginners – iTunes – Web Video – Marianne Talbot, Oxford
- Critical Reasoning for Beginners - iTunes Video – iTunes Audio – Web Video – Oxford
- A Romp through Ethics for Complete Beginners - iTunes Video–Web Video – Oxford
- Introduction to Political Philosophy – YouTube – iTunes – Web Video - Steven B. Smith, Yale
- The Art of Living - Web Video – Stanford
- The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps - Multiple Formats– Peter Adamson, King’s College London
Explore our collection of 700 Free Courses to find topics in many other disciplines — History, Literature, Physics, Computer Science and beyond. As we like to say, it’s the most valuable single page on the web.
Find us on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus and we’ll make it easy to share intelligent media with your friends!
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Open Culture - Download 90 Free Philosophy Courses and Start Living the Examined Life
From Open Culture, a great collection of philosophy courses to help us lead the examined life.