In the 26th iteration of the Mind and Life Conference - Critical Conversations Between Buddhist Thought and Science - the Dalai Lama hosts 20 of the world's leaders in philosophy, neuroscience, and psychology, including several leading Buddhist scholars.
It's another great series of discussions over four days - I will present one day at a time over the next few days - this is day 3.
Mind and Life XXVI: Mind, Brain and Matter - Critical Conversations Between Buddhist Thought and Science (Day Three)
Twenty of the world’s foremost scientists and philosophers with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and other senior Tibetan scholars will address topics over the course of the week that include the historical sweep of science and the revolutions in our understanding of our physical universe and the nature of the mind. Scientific and the classical Buddhist philosophical methods of inquiry will be studied, as well as selected topics in quantum physics, neuroscience, and Buddhist and contemporary Western views of consciousness. In addition, the applications of contemplative practices in clinical and educational settings will be explored.
Presented by Mind and Life Institute and the Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Venue: Drepung Monastery, Mundgod, Karnataka, India
Date: January 17-22, 2013
- Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
- Michel Bitbol, PhD, Directeur de Recherche, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
- Khen Rinpoche Jangchup Choeden, Abbott, Gaden Shartse Monastery
- Richard Davidson, PhD, Founder and Chair, Center for Investigating Healthy Minds University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Sona Dimidjian, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology and Neuroscience University of Colorado at Boulder
- James R. Doty, MD, Director, Center for the Study of Compassion and Altruism Research and Education
- Stanford University
- John Durant, PhD, Adjunct Professor Science,Technology & Society Program Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Anne Harrington, PhD, Professor, Department of the History of Science Harvard University
- Wendy Hasenkamp, PhD, Program and Research Director Mind & Life Institute
- Thupten Jinpa, PhD, Adjunct Professor McGill University Chairman Mind & Life Institute
- Bryce Johnson, PhD, Director Science for Monks Staff Scientist Exploratorium
- Geshe Lhakdor, Director, Library of Tibetan Works and Archives
- Rajesh Kasturirangan, PhD, Associate Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore
- Christof Koch, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer Allen Institute for Brain Science
- Geshe Dadul Namgyal, Member and Translator/Interpreter Emory-Tibet Science Initiative Emory University
- Lobsang Tenzin Negi, PhD, Senior Lecturer Emory University
- Vijayalakshmi Ravindranath, PhD, Professor and Chair Centre for Neuroscience at the Indian Institute of Science
- Matthieu Ricard, PhD, Buddhist Monk Shechen Monastery
- Geshe Ngawang Samten, Vice Chancellor, Central University of Tibetan Studies
- Tania Singer, PhD, Director, Department of Social Neuroscience Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences
- Aaron Stern, Founder and President, The Academy for the Love of Learning
- Diana Chapman Walsh, PhD, President Emerita, Wellesley College Governing Board Member, The Broad Institute of MIT & Harvard
- Carol Worthman, PhD, Professor Department of Anthropology Emory-Tibet Science Initiative Emory University
- Arthur Zajonc, PhD, President Mind & Life Institute