Saturday, December 26, 2009

Film - In Another Life: Reincarnation In America

I'm agnostic, but doubtful, about reincarnation. Still, this is an interesting look at how the idea is expressing itself in America.

In Another Life: Reincarnation In America

In Another Life: Reincarnation In America

Release Year: 2003

Duration: 57 min

Availability:

Related: Science & Nature, Content Film

In Another Life is a five-year labor of love by a filmmaker who has studied reincarnation for over 30 years. Beautifully produced, it features top experts in the fields of reincarnation research, past-life therapy and Eastern spirituality, along with first-hand accounts by people who have had personal experiences.





4 comments:

raw by default said...

Apparently, you also have to be in America to watch a film about reincarnation in America.

What is the view on reincarnation in the Integral community? Is it a common belief in the higher levels (green, yellow, etc.)? Or is it a belief usually associated with the more religious levels that falls away as a person moves along the spiral?

william harryman said...

Apologies that this isn't available outside the US.

I can't speak for the integral community as a whole, but Wilber and many others are Buddhist and accept reincarnation. Wilber practiced Dzogchen, which maintains a lot of the seemingly pre-rational beliefs in a more trans-rational form as one moves up the developmental ladder.

I am more in the Stephen Batchelor agnostic/atheist Buddhist practice and do not need reincarnation.

Sunada said...

William,
I just watched the video. I'd like to ask a completely innocent question, not meant to be argumentative. How would you rationally explain those stories, in the absence of rebirth? I realize it's probably impossible to get conclusive proof of rebirth, and hence there's always room for doubt. But I personally am pretty convinced.

william harryman said...

Hi Sunada,

That's a very fair question, and one I do not have a good answer for. I can't explain it in rational terms, but to the best of my knowledge, much of the literature in this area is just that, stories. On the other hand, these stories are much more capable of being proven/disproven than the stories of meeting family members in the light following death. I suspect we will know more in the coming years.

I remain agnostic. And as far as the Buddhist element, karma works just fine in the lifetime. But if I am reborn, I will have done my best to reduced negative karma this time around. :)

Peace,
Bill