Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lojong Poems: Four

[Introduction]

Lojong Poems: Four


Let even the remedy itself drop away naturally

surrendering self in the thrall of passion
is not the solution :: the tangle of flesh
is only a distraction, an illusion
_____

walking in the canyon, I feel the smallness
of being, the inconsequence of these cells
_____

I slept for more than ten years, until
the ravages of insects awakened me

moth eaten, beetles half consumed
my flesh, only memory survives

haunted, wishing my body dissolved
by flame, bright surrender
_____

I'd gladly give this all away
for a moment's peace

but the clinging is an anchor

tendrils of this ravaged flesh
reach in every direction,
rooting me
_____

following the breath
as instructed

inhale, exhale
inhale, exhale

memory evaporates
in the wind

all that remains
is the tender heart,
beating, softening

allowing

an openness
that feels like death


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this poem. I am inspired to write poetry as a result. I haven't in a long while. Thanks.