- Alison Greig (Wales): Heaven in the Early History of Western Religions.
- From Cognition and Culture, a webinar on Big Gods: How Religion Transformed Cooperation and Conflict by Ara Norenzayan.
- Terry D. Goddard reviews Before Religion: a History of a Modern Concept by Brent Nongbri.
- Religion in contemporary world: Octavia Domide and Larisa Bianca Pirjol review The Everyday Sacred: Symbols, Rituals, Mythologies by Cristina Gavriluta and The Sociology of Religions: Beliefs, Rituals, Ideologies by Nicu Gavriluta.
- The introduction to A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day, ed. Abdelwahab Meddeb and Benjamin Stora.
- Rosemary Joyce on women as leaders in early Christianity: Fairy tales?
- From The Atlantic, Richard J. Miller on religion as a product of psychotropic drug use: How much of religious history was influenced by mind-altering substances?
- From Student Pulse, is paganism a religion? Betsy C. Chadbourn on exploring the historical and contemporary relevance of paganism.
- Was Nietzsche right about religion? John Gray reviews The Age of Nothing by Peter Watson and Culture and the Death of God by Terry Eagleton.
- Secularisation, myth or menace? Melvin Tinker on an assessment of modern “worldliness”.
- God and Man in the Machine: Peter Moons on religion in the transhumanist environment.
- Laura Leibman on clothing and religion.
- An interview with Dan W. Clanton, Jr., author of Understanding Religion and Popular Culture.
- An excerpt from The Age of Atheists by Peter Watson.
- Pseudo-scientists are still trying to convince you that the Shroud of Turin is real — don't believe them.
Friday, March 28, 2014
Omnivore - Religion in Contemporary World
From Bookforum's Omnivore blog, another cool collection of links, this time on the state of religion in the world today. Some good stuff in this collection.