- Stephen Bullivant (St. Mary’s): Why Study Atheism?; and Defining “Atheism”.
- The real New Atheism: Jeffrey Tayler on rejecting religion for a just world.
- Remembering Christopher Hitchens: G. Elijah Dann on religious belief and Hitch's greatest hits.
- When did faith start to fade? Adam Gopnik reviews The Age of Atheists: How We Have Sought to Live Since the Death of God by Peter Watson; and Imagine There's No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World by Mitchell Stephens.
- George Dvorsky on the 7 most intriguing philosophical arguments for the existence of God.
- From Philosophy Now, does God exist? William Lane Craig says there are good reasons for thinking that He does (and a response); and Rick Lewis interviews Simon Blackburn on his atheism.
- Clayton Littlejohn reviews God and Evidence: Problems for Theistic Philosophers by Rob Lovering.
- Ryan Stringer on a logical argument from evil.
- Oliver Burkeman on David Bentley Hart's The Experience of God: Being, Consciousness, Bliss, the one theology book all atheists really should read (and more by Damon Linker; Isaac Chotiner on how the case for God's existence is empowering atheists; and Jerry Coyne on why the “best arguments for God's existence” are actually terrible).
- No, we don’t owe your religion any “respect”.
- Can a Christian be an atheist? Dom Turner finds out.
- Are religious teachings fairy tales? Howard Kainz wonders.
- Research indicates that lack of religion is a key reason why people in wealthy countries don't feel a sense of purpose.
- Katie Engelhart on the age of atheism: “If God exists, why is anybody unhappy?”
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Omnivore - The Age of Atheism
From Bookforum's Omnivore blog, a collection of interesting links on atheism and its discontents.