I did not watch this "debate," and I use that word loosely. How can there be a debate between fiction written 2500 years ago (or more) and science? The fact that this spectacle was actually "highly anticipated" is more than a little disturbing. For once, I agree with Richard Dawkins - this was a pointless event.
The funny thing is that there are considerably more people in this country who share Ham's beliefs than there are who share Nye's beliefs. No, wait . . . that is NOT funny. It's depressing.
For those who missed it and want to see it, enjoy.
Watch the Highly-Anticipated Evolution/Creationism Debate: Bill Nye the Science Guy v. Creationist Ken Ham
February 5th, 2014
Bill Nye the Science Guy has spent his career trying to “help foster a scientifically literate society, to help people everywhere understand and appreciate the science that makes our world work.” A graduate of Cornell and a student of Carl Sagan, Nye has produced educational programs for the Science Channel, the Discovery Channel, and PBS. Most recently, he has gone on record saying that teaching creationism in America’s classrooms is bad for kids, and bad for America’s future. “If the United States produces a generation of science students who don’t believe in science, that’s troublesome” because the United States needs science to remain competitive,” he warns in this video.
For some weeks, the internet has been abuzz about a debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, the president of Answers in Genesis (AiG) and the Creation Museum. The debate — something Richard Dawkins called a pointless endeavor — took place last night in Petersburg, Kentucky. It’s now online, all two and a half hours of it. We’re you’re done watching the spectacle, you can view some other high-profile religion-science debates that we’ve featured in the past.
- Bertrand Russell and F.C. Copleston Debate the Existence of God, 1948
- Does God Exist? Christopher Hitchens Debates Christian Philosopher William Lane Craig
- Has Science Refuted Religion? Sean Carroll and Michael Shermer vs. Dinesh D’Souza and Ian Hutchinson
- Richard Dawkins and Jon Stewart Debate Whether Science or Religion Will Destroy Civilization
- Animated: Stephen Fry & Ann Widdecombe Debate the Catholic Church
- Find Darwin’s Legacy in our collection of 825 Free Online Courses