Issues in the metaphysics of science
- From Studia Philosophica Estonica, a special issue on practical realist account of science.
- It may have been awhile since you wondered, what exactly is a second? But think about it now and the question will nag at you.
- Are there parallel universes? The answer is "possibly".
- Stephen Mumford is cool, calm and collected as he broods on the big issues in the metaphysics of science. Is scientific truth always beautiful?
- David Orrell says the quest for elegance leads too many researchers astray.
- According to Max Tegmark, it’s not enough to say that math governs our universe; rather, he believes that reality itself is a mathematical structure.
- Philosophy under attack: Patrick Stokes on Lawrence Krauss and the new denialism.
- An “embarrassment” to science: Brad Plumer on a simple breakdown of why physicists still can't agree on how to interpret quantum mechanics — and why it matters.
- What is the purpose of the Universe? Here is one possible answer.