12. Jul, 2010 by Charles Tart
We’re joined by Charles Tart, one of the founders of the branch of psychology known as transpersonal psychology. Dr. Tart’s life work has to do with putting forward an “evidence-based spirituality for the 21st century.” In this conversation we explore the evidence that he explored for phenomena like reincarnation, as well as the “big five” of telepathy, clairvoyance, pre-cognition, psychokinesis, and psychic healing. With all of these phenomena Charles warns about adopting a “scientistic”—as opposed to scientific—view of reality, which says that none of those things can be real, simply because they don’t fit into the mainstream view of materialism. Instead, he suggests, we should be looking at the evidence and letting it shape our understanding of reality.
- Charles T. Tart’s Official Website
- The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal Is Bringing Science and Spirit Together
- The Buddhist Atheist, Our Interview with Stephen Batchelor
- Ian Stevenson
- The Division of Perceptual Studies at The University of Virginia Medical School