Saturday, September 09, 2006

Flora and Fauna of Nova Scotia

I've posted an awful lot of pictures of churches and other buildings, but so far I haven't posted a lot of scenic pictures. So this is an attempt to remedy that a bit.

This is a pitcher plant, not quite flora or fauna -- it's a carnivorous plant like the venus flytrap. It catches its prey in the pitcher and dissolves it so it can be absorbed. We stopped at a bog out on the northern tip of Cape Breton that had lots of these little plants, as well as another kind of carnivorous plant we didn't find.


We saw this female moose just off the road out on the tip of Cape Breton. She didn't seem to be too bothered that she was being watched, but Kira and I were the only ones who got out of the car to take pictures.


Another picture from the bog. It was a bit overcast, so the reflection on the water was nice.

We stopped at this little river on the Eastern Shore of the main island on the way back to Halifax. It was a nice fall afternoon.

We also stopped at Clam Cove Beach, where the wind was blowing and the sky turned grey. But the beach was nice and these rocks on the east end added some texture to the scenery.


When I was climbing up the rocks to take the last picture, I found this little fox feasting on berries that were ripe and plump. He saw me and sniffed the air a couple of times, but because the wind was blowing away from him he couldn't smell me. I got a lot of pictures, some from as close as four or five feet, but this was the best of the ones where you see the face.

Okay then.

I hope to do some more posting tomorrow morning before we get to the airport and then some more as we travel back toward the desert. Gotta love the internet connections in the airports now.


tag: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: