Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Buildings in Nova Scotia

When I go on vacation some place, I like to get a feel for the place and for the people as much as I like to see the sites and the major attractions. I end up remembering more about the place and the trip if it is contextualized in some way rather than a bunch of "oohh, aahh" experiences.

With that in mind, I have been taking some pictures of buildings here. One of the things I've noticed is the sheer number of little churches that seem to be around every corner. Some are no larger than our hotel room. There are also a fair number of abandoned houses interspersed among rather affluent looking homes.

Here are a couple from yesterday. Kira has been kind enough to humor me as I stop here and there to snap a photo or two.

This was just some abandoned house set back a ways from the road. I really liked something about the design and feel on a gloomy morning.


A churchfront in a small town called Bear River. The building is not very deep, but it seems to aim for an imposing front view.


A small Anglican Church in some town I can't remember the name of. I liked that the cemetery wasn't hidden in back or off to the side.


These are the front doors to an abandoned school in Bear River. The building has a bit of a lean to it, as you see at the top of the door frame.

As we drive around the island, I'll be taking more photos of churches and other buildings.


tag: , , , , ,

No comments: