Friday, October 22, 2010

Dr. Andrew Holecek - Waking Up Hurts


THE POWER AND THE PAIN:
Transforming Spiritual Hardship
into Joy

by Dr. Andrew Holecek
more...

Dharma Quote of the Week

Understanding the power of the path provides the inspiration that keeps us going forward; exploring its pain provides the understanding of what holds us back. It doesn't take long to discover the power, nor to feel the pain. Waking up hurts. And if we don't understand why, we will run from the pain and abandon the path. There are countless people who have become spiritual dropouts, or who are lost in detours because they have not understood hardship.

When your arm falls asleep, it prickles and burns as it returns to life. Frozen fingers sting when they thaw; we jolt awake when the alarm clock rings. But physical instances of anesthesia are mild compared to the anesthesia born of ignorance, and so is the level of discomfort upon awakening. The longer something has been asleep, the more painful it is to wake it up. If your fingers are merely cold, it is easy to warm them up. But if your fingers are frozen solid, it hurts like hell when they thaw. According to the traditions, unless one is already a buddha, an "awakened one," one has been snoring from beginningless time, and it can really hurt before we completely wake up. Mingyur Rinpoche writes,

"I'd like to say that everything got better once I was safely settled among the other participants in the three-year retreat.... On the contrary, however, my first year in retreat was one of the worst in my life. All the symptoms of anxiety I'd ever experienced--physical tension, tightness in the throat, dizziness, and waves of panic--attacked in full force. In Western terms, I was having a nervous breakdown. In hindsight, I can say that what I was actually going through was what I like to call a 'nervous breakthrough'."

--from The Power and the Pain: Transforming Spiritual Hardship into Joy by Dr. Andrew Holecek, published by Snow Lion Publications

The Power and the Pain • Now at 5O% off
(Good through October 29th).


Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Diane said...

It was a pleasure reading this quote on Snowlion. I can tell you exactly the time I started to wake up. It hurt mentally,spiritually as well as physically. I only wanted my life to go back to the blind ignorance of the past so I would not have to endure the pain,since I did not know how blissful I would become now. Thank you for this confirming insight!