Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's Inauguration Speech

I thought it was a good speech - no soaring rhetoric or lofty ideals, but realistic, and grounded in the challenges - and opportunties - that face us in the coming years.

Here is the video, from MSNBC, via AlterNet (full text at the link).



Michael Gerson, who authored President George W. Bush's first and second inaugural addresses, wasn't impressed - the word "cliche" is used.

CJ Smith, however (not that he carries the name recognition of Gerson), was impressed.

Robert Schlesinger, at the US News and World Report blog, also liked the speech, seeing in it a classic theme in inaugural speeches.


2 comments:

CJ Smith said...

anytime i'm on the opposing side of gerson I feel pretty good about my chances of being right.

thanks for the link.

cj

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a beautiful, powerful, uplifting and grounded speech. So glad my class was dismissed this morning so I could see it as it happened!