Monday, April 09, 2007

Heaviest Clean and Jerk lift of all time - 266kg (586.4 lb)

Since I lift weights pretty seriously, and do some of the Olympic lifts for fun (and to develop more functional strength), I found this video amazing. I can clean more than my body weight, but when I add in the jerk portion of the lift, the weight falls drastically. Certainly, a large part of it is skill and repetitions, but this lift is still amazing to watch.
In 1988 Leonid Taranenko of the (then) Soviet Union made the heaviest clean and jerk of all time, lifting 266.0 kg. Due to the restructuring of the competitive weight classes that took place in 1993 and 1998, these lifts are no longer recognized as the official world records but they remain the highest figures ever posted in competition.


Via: VideoSift


No comments: