Saturday, March 29, 2008

Daily Dharma - Shantideva on Non-Reaction


These are the Daily Dharmas from yesterday and today -- both are related so I thought I'd post them together.

Here is yesterday's:

Whenever there is attachment

48. Whenever there is attachment in my mind
and whenever there is the desire to be angry,
I should not do anything nor say anything, But remain like a piece of wood.

49. Whenever I have distracted thoughts, the wish to verbally belittle others,
Feelings of self-importance or self-satisfaction;
When I have the intention to describe the faults of others,
Pretension and the thought to deceive others;

50. Whenever I am eager for praise
Or have the desire to blame others;
Whenever I have the wish to speak harshly and cause dispute;
At (all) such times I should remain like a piece of wood.

51. Whenever I desire material gain, honor or fame;
Whenever I seek attendants or a circle of friends,
And when in my mind I wish to be served;
At (all) these times I should remain like a piece of wood.

52. Whenever I have the wish to decrease or to stop working for others
And the desire to pursue my welfare alone...

53. Whenever I have impatience, laziness, cowardice,
Shamelessness or the desire to talk nonsense;
If thoughts of partiality arise,
At these times too I should remain like a piece of wood.

- Shantideva, A Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, trans. by Stephen Batchelor; from Everyday Mind, a Tricycle book edited by Jean Smith.


Today's Dharma quote is a response to this.

Technique of non-reaction

Shantideva…mentions specific instances when it is advisable to remain like a mindless piece of wood. We can do this when our mind is very distracted or when the thought arises to belittle, slander, or abuse others. If pride, haughtiness or the intention to find fault with others arises, we can also remain impassive until our deluded motivation fades. Feeling pretentious, thinking to deceive others and wishing to praise our own qualities, wealth, or possessions are all occasions when it is wise to pretend that we are made out of wood. Whenever we have the desire to blame others, speak harshly or cause disruption we should practice this technique of non-reaction.

- Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Meaningful to Behold; from Everyday Mind, a Tricycle book edited by Jean Smith.


No comments: