Monday, May 08, 2006

White Tara Meditation


[White Tara]

Background:
White Tara is often referred to as the Mother of all the Buddhas. She represents the motherly aspect of compassion. Her white colour indicates purity, but also indicates that she is Truth, complete and undifferentiated.

She has seven eyes: the two usual eyes, plus an eye in the centre of her forehead and eyes in each of her hands and feet. These indicate that she sees all suffering and all cries for help in the human world using both ordinary and psychic or extraordinary means of perception. They thus symbolize the vigilance of her compassion.

She sits with both legs raised and crossed in the vajra (diamond) position and regally displays both grace and calm.

From The White Tara Sadhana:
Refuge and Generating Bodhicitta (recite three times)
I take refuge until I am enlightened in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. By
the positive potential I create by practicing generosity and the other far-reaching attitudes, may I attain Buddhahood in order to benefit all sentient beings.


The Four Immeasurable Thoughts
May all sentient beings have happiness and its causes,

May all sentient beings be free from suffering and its causes.
May all sentient beings never be separated from sorrowless bliss.
May all sentient beings abide in equanimity, free of bias, attachment and anger.

This was my morning meditation for today. Nothing elaborate, just visualizing the White Tara of Compassion as I recited the Refuge vow and repeated the Four Immeasurable Thoughts.

I am not trained in this kind of work, so I am approaching it intuitively, seeing what feels right and beneficial. I know this Sadhana has many more components, but I started with what felt managable for me.

Trying to hold the image in my mind was hard, but it became easier as I generated compassion in my heart by reciting the Four Thoughts.

Anyone else doing these types of meditations? I'd love to know more or hear how other people approach this.


Del.Icio.Us Tags: , , , , , ,
Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't done White Tara practice, but others like it in form. As far as the visualization, I was relieved when Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche said there are two ways to visualize: one is very detailed; the other is like being shown a picture, having it taken away, and then someone asking, "Do you remember what you were just shown?". It's this second type that is perfectly sufficient. I always worried about how detailed or clear my visualization was. Not worrying about that actually makes my visualization clearer, and of course repitition and deepening the practice.

As for the sadhana, there are so many different forms. There are super long, medium, and essential ways of practicing. Refuge/bodhicitta, mantra, and dedication are the essential, and that's all one needs to do. The rest is nice if you have the time and desire. Sounds like your practice was great this morning:)

william harryman said...

Thanks, guys,

This morning was the first time I had tried this. Now that I have a better idea how it's supposed to go, I want to try to do it as a regular part of my practice.

I sincerely appreciate the wisdom both of you shared. I miss a lot in not being able to attend a regular sangha here.

Peace,
Bill

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming that the long form of Tara mentioned above in the Sakya Tradition is 'The Moon Current River'. Does anyone know if a recording of this in Tibetan is available?

Peter