Saturday, July 08, 2006

Evaluation of Ken Wilber and Integral Institute's Possible Cult Status

Open Integral has posted an article by Elliot Benjamin, ON KEN WILBER’S INTEGRAL INSTITUTE: AN EXPERIENTIAL ANALYSIS.

This is a first-person account of some dealings with I-I, including interactions with KW. While at first finding himself an enchanted fan of I-I and KW, Benjamin began to have some concerns about the possible cult status of both the man and the organization. This is an area where he has some expertise.

He concludes:
I would say that there are definitely things to be cautious and observant about in Integral Institute, not the least of which is Ken Wilber’s strong ego and harsh criticisms of many of those who disagree with him. However . . . I will give both Ken Wilber and Integral Institute the benefit of the doubt and place this organization in Neutral territory regarding cult dangers vs. beneficial spiritual characteristics.

The article is well-thought out and informative. Give it a read and then decide for yourself. I tend to agree that there may be some areas to be concerned with, and I agree with Benjamin's conclusion:
[I]f you do not like what you see at Integral Institute then you can disengage without repercussions. Big egos, strong ideas, and harsh criticism of opponents are not the same as cult dangers . . . .


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Will,

I think that it takes a lot to get a significant rating on Benjamin's scale. est was rated Mild! As I wrote in my Rattlesnake piece, est spinoffs The Hunger Project and The Forum scared the sh*t out of me.

I wonder what changes Benjamin might consider to his rating after Wilber's sheltering of Gafni and the Earpy posts.

It certainly looks to me that Front Groups are in creation -- including, certainly, Zaadz and KW spinnff web projects. Yet Front Groups for I-I was rated the minimum, 1, on the Bonewits scale. Wilber's reaction to Gafni suggests to me the minimum rating on sexual manipulation should be reconsidered. Paranoia only got an average rating. Surrender of Will only got a 1 rating.

My point is that the direction that I-I is headed seems clearly in the direction of becoming more and more of a cult. This by itself is alarming.

BUT when you add the fact that the ideas and material at the core of Integral shout out against where I-I is and the authoritarian cult of personality it is increasingly becoming it reachs Orwellian proportions. I think already the Wilber organizations are a Frankenstein monster of the spirit and beauty at the base of Integral. In this analogy, Wilber is of course Dr. Frankenstein.

I have to say I find it additional spooky that everyone finds Wilber so damn charming. An overabundance of charm suggests skill at acting as students of sociopathology could tell you.

william harryman said...

Zaadz is not financially or legally connected to I-I. At most they have a reciprocal marketing agreement.

This article was written after the Earpy posts, partly as a response to new concerns that Wilber/I-I had become a cult.

The charm thing is interesting, especially as it is mentioned again in a post I will be linking to in moments.

Peace,
Bill