Thursday, May 04, 2006

Paul Salamone ILP -- 90 Day Assessment

Paul Salamone has finished the 90 days of ILP to which he committed himself. He has posted his review of the process. One thing he noted with the advent of a daily routine was boredom. I can see how that might be a problem for someone with a more "driven" lifestyle.

One thing I noticed in Paul's experience -- and in that of Eric at Integral Valley -- was the emergence of shadow stuff in the area of 30 days or so. Please correct me if my memory is defective. It seemed as though the psyche, being stretched and having its boundaries broken down, staged mild rebellions at about that point in the process. If that is true, it's useful info for anyone else undertaking this process.

Here is a taste of his review:
This blog began as a way to both hold myself accountable to getting my life back on track, and to prove to myself and others that Integral Life Practice is a meme worth spreading. As a secondary benefit, promoting ILP could bring my organization more money, and me a raise. The self-interest was mutual. Well, I'm happy to report two things: ILP works, and it takes a hell of a lot more time to get "on track" than I'd originally concieved. While I wasn't expecting to become a Buddha-with-Biceps after just 3 months of practice, I hoped I'd be doing something along the lines of an hour of Big Mind or 1-2-3 O' God each morning, followed by some hardcore F.I.T. and a session with a therapist or two.

Instead, my commitment to personal development turned to more fundamental things, namely, money and time. The break-through, I believe, was when I started to keep a time and money log, which gave me a new awareness of my day-to-day activities and expenditures. This put me in the frame of mind that every second (and every dollar) counts, and gave me a new orientation towards the future which my previous work-a-hedonism had forbade. Contra postmodern addicto-culture's incessant injunction to chase pleasure and nothing else, I began to adopt something decidely more puritan and old school: saving for the future. I can't even express what a shift this was in my worldview.

Del.Icio.Us Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: