Sunday, April 23, 2006

Impermanence


Come back to square one, just the minimum bare bones. Relaxing with the present moment, relaxing with hopelessness, realxing with death, not resisting the fact that things end, that things pass, that things have no lasting substance, that everything is changing all the time--that is the basic message.


~Pema Chodron



That was yesterday's Zen page-a-day quote. Usually when I think of impermanence, it's in not clinging to good things. But every once in a while, as Chodron shows above, it is useful to hold this view when things are tough.


I feel like I'm coming out of a dark tunnel. The last few weeks have been rough, but (for the first time in my life) I did not lose sight of the fact that "this too shall pass."


It made a huge difference.


Tags: , , ,


Powered by Qumana


No comments: