Sunday, February 19, 2006

Recognition

It's nice to receive the recognition of my peers. I was somewhat amazed to see my blog nominated in two categories (Best Integral Buddhist Blog & Best Philosophical Blog) for the 2005 Blogisattva Awards, posted at Blogmandu--especially since I have only been doing this blog since late June of 2005. I still feel like the new kid on the block.

When I first began this blog, after beginning Raven's View and Integral Fitness Solutions in December of 2004, I debated keeping it private as a journal of my ITP work. I wanted to be able to be emotionally honest with myself, but I am generally uncomfortable in sharing too much of myself with other people--even in as anonymous a format as a blog. As an example, I have only recently started posting a couple of my own poems on the site.

I decided, however, that being more public, including using my real name and linking to my other blogs (for a long time I did not even link between Raven's View and IFS), would be a part of my practice. For me there is some risk that my more, uh, "traditional" clients will see the site and I'll lose some business. I decided, in essence, "So what!?"

This blog has been an important part of my integral practice. The last year has been the most turbulent and amazing year of my life. This blog has been a big part of that.

So, thank you to those who read here--and thanks to whoever nominated me for the Blogisattvas. I sincerely appreciate the inherent support for this project that is reflected in the recognition.

And a giant congratulations to all the other nominees!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the nominations for Blogisattva Awards!

william harryman said...

Thanks, Tyson.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations as well. Isn't this nice: folks going around congratulating other folks. We should do it more often, Blogisattvas or not...

Good luck!

Will

Mark said...

I came across this blog via Joe Perez's blog. Nice to see a fellow Tucson person -- you are rooting for the Wildcats right? Our basketball team can use all the good thoughts it can get.

Coming from a conservative/neo-conservative Christian background, you might not expect I'm interested in Weber and his intergralism, but I am, it is quite challenging stuff. Congrats on the awards for your blog, and if you had to recommend one book on intergralism, what would it be?

william harryman said...

Thanks Will -- good luck to you as well.

william harryman said...

Sorry, Matt, I'm a Huskies fan. I lived in Seattle for more than nine years--when the UW team was terrible. I'm hoping they can make a good showing in the tournament this year.

Glad you are exploring integral thought. For an introduction, A Theory of Everything is brief and to the point. Sex, Ecology, Spirituality is the big opus to date. My personal favorite is Integral Psychology.

Also consider Robert Kegan's The Evolving Self, James Fowler's Stages of Faith, and Roger Walsh's Essential Spirituality.

Thanks for stopping by,
Bill